If you would like to display different tracking numbers by a Google Ads campaign, you can create custom tracking sources in CallTrackingMetrics aligned to each campaign and associate tracking numbers to those sources.
- The first step is adding URL tags in Google Ads for each of the campaigns. For example, add something to your ad URL like utm_campaign=campaignA. For a second campaign, it could be utm_campaign=campaignB, etc.
- Once you've set up the campaigns in Google Ads, you can set up distinct Google Ads tracking sources in Call Tracking Metrics using those URL tags and associate tracking numbers to each source. So, for example, Campaign A would be set up in the following way:
- Go to Numbers > Tracking Sources
- Click the New Source button in the upper-right corner.
- On the tracking source set-up page, choose Google Ads from the Preset drop-down. Change the Name field from Google Ads to something unique like Google Ads Campaign A. Save changes.
- In the Landing URL field, you will see gclid=.+ is listed from the preset Google Ads tracking source set-up. Remove the gclid=.+ and enter your matching UTM parameter. Example: utm_campaign=campaignA
- Save your source.
- Create the other sources for the other campaigns using the same steps above.
- If you already have a tracking number to assign to this custom tracking source, go to Numbers > Tracking numbers > "Edit" and scroll down the Tracking Source. Use the drop-down and locate your new custom tracking source and save changes.
- If you need a new tracking number, go to Numbers > Buy Numbers. After you've purchased the number(s), complete the new number setup by applying your new custom Tracking Source, Call Routing (Receiving Number), and Target Number.
When the fields have been completed and saved, your custom Google Ads tracking source is live and ready to start dynamically swapping numbers.