Geo routers allow you to route callers based on their location. You can choose to route callers based on the area code of the number from which they dial or their zip code. Geo routers are not able to route callers based on the physical location of their mobile phones.
Using a geo router allows you to publish one tracking number that will send calls to multiple franchise or office locations.
Creating Geo Routers and Configuring Routing
- Navigate to Flows → Geo Routing.
- If you do not have a geo router in your account, you will be taken to a setup page to create a new one. Otherwise, click New Geo Router in the upper right of the page.
- Enter the Name and a Description (optional) for the router.
- In the Prompts section, use the Options drop-down to select how you would like to route callers.
- Silently route the call to the default receiving number or voice menu will detect the caller's location (you may choose area code or zip code) and route them to the matching receiving number without prompting them for input.
- Use a voice prompt when no geographic data is available will attempt to route the caller as above, but if their location cannot be detected, they will be prompted to enter their area or zip code.
- Always voice prompt even if the call can be geo routed will always prompt users for input (either area code or zip code).
- Select how you would like to route callers that are outside of your established service area.
- Hang up (default) will end the call.
- Phone Number will allow you to set a default number for calls to ring to if they do not match any of your service areas.
- Voice Menu will allow you to set a menu or voicemail box for calls to route to if they are outside the service areas.
- Select how you would like to route callers that match more than one receiving number.
- Simultaneous: ring to all receiving numbers at the same time
- Round Robin: evenly distribute calls to each receiving number
- Sequential: evenly distribute calls to each receiving number, and ring the next number if the first number does not answer after 9 seconds
- Choose to route calls by area code or by zip code.
- If you choose area code, callers will be routed to the nearest location based on the area code in the number they are calling from.
- If you choose zip code, you may choose additional options to refine routing:
- By Caller NPA/NXX: derives zip code from the area code and prefix of the caller's number
- By Session/IP Address with fallback to NPA/NXX: uses location based on the session data of the website visitor associated with the call; if session data is not found, the system will default to the area code and prefix of the caller's number.
- By Enhanced Caller ID with fallback to NPA/NXX: performs an enhanced caller ID lookup and routes based on the zip code associated with the number; if session data is not found, the system will default to the area code and prefix of the caller's number.
- Set the search radius for matching callers to your designated locations. The search radius is only used when there is not an exact zip code match.
- Click Save Changes.
Enter Receiving Numbers and Locations
You can add numbers in bulk by uploading a spreadsheet, or you can add a single number using the +Add Number button.
To bulk upload:
- In the Locations section, click the Upload and Reset Numbers button.
- Click Choose File to select your spreadsheet of phone numbers and their associated zip codes.
- List the receiving numbers in the first column of the spreadsheet.
- List the zip codes you would like associated with each receiving number in the second column. If there are multiple zip codes, separate them with commas within the cell.
- Select the columns that contain your receiving numbers and your zip codes so that the system will pull from the correct data set.
- If the first row of your spreadsheet is used as a header, check the box labeled Exclude first row.
- Click Process & Upload.
To manually add a single number:
- In the Locations section, click +Add Number.
- In the pop-up that appears, add the number to dial in the Receiving Number field.
- Enter the zip codes or area codes to associate to the number in the field below. List each zip code or area code on its own line.
- Click Add Number.
Article is closed for comments.