Why do you need to register?
Phone monitoring system
- FCC Mandate - Businesses that make outbound calls must have their business verified
- FCC utilizing third-party for verification process
- Registration intends to reduce robocalling, which is part of the TCPA regulations introduced in 1991 (extension of TCPA)
- For more information on TCPA Regulations click HERE
Text message monitoring system
- Wireless Carriers–text messages -implemented rules for A2P registration
- Similar process as FCC mandate; however, the brand of the business, if intending to send outbound messages must have their brand verified, where an attestation score will be provided
- Campaign - Wireless carriers want to be able to understand the types of messages their end users will be receiving from the brand
- Strict guidelines regarding how the wireless subscriber opts into that campaign
What information do I need to complete this process?
- Legal Business Name
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Know if your company is a public or private company before starting the registration process
- Understand that ALL information must be completed on the registration form, or you may not be able to edit it on your own (you will need assistance from our team).
- Complete your A2P 10DLC business registration (click here).
- If you've already registered, skip ahead to Step 2.
- Unsure if you’ve registered? See the screenshot below.
If a Trust Center has already been started by a user on your subaccount, you will see a similar screen to the example below:
- All updates to any current submission will appear once you click Numbers > Trust Center
- All statuses will show as each registration is submitted
- As the submissions update, they will be displayed here
- Note: This process continues to evolve as regulations change Updates and new information may be requested periodically
- Note: If you see two or more, you are only to complete and submit one (1) Registration. Trust Center used to allow multiple submissions until this year.
For users who have not registered yet, complete your Business Registration. Fields in red are required.
After the business registration is updated, you will be prompted to confirm your information and to choose an option for Local Text Message Registration:
Summary of Trust Center:
- On August 31, 2023, total blocking of message traffic for unregistered campaigns goes into effect.
- Validation takes at least two weeks (Wireless Provider required)
- EINs are the only US identification number that can be used.
- An authorized representative is required. This email address will receive status notification emails throughout the entire process.
We want to make sure this doesn’t happen to you, so please read and complete all directions.
- Outbound Activity could be disrupted (Calls and SMS)
- Failure to register the Brand and Campaigns for A2P messaging can result in penalties and charges
Before you register your carriers, you have to verify your brand. If you’ve already verified or registered your brand, you can skip to STEP 3.
How do I verify my brand?
To verify your brand, you’ll have to provide information about your business. Resellers should provide information about the customers on whose behalf they’re doing business. Only one registration per CTM sub-account is allowed, and each registration must be unique. If you accidentally duplicate your registration, it may be rejected and you’ll lose your registration fee. Do yourself a favor and grab your W9 or company tax registration document before you start this process.
You have two brand verification options:
Option 1: Brand Verification - This is the basic identity verification process. It’s the minimum requirement by TCR to send messages on 10DLC. Cost: Each submission carries a one-time $4 fee
Option 2: Brand Vetting - This is an optional vetting through a TCR external partner, which will provide a more detailed view of the brand with a focus on reputation in the messaging space.
Brand vetting is required if you send more than 2,000 messages a day. Cost: $40 for the first submission. (If the submission fails, each subsequent submission costs $5.) Note: Vetting your brand could provide your brand with better terms with the carriers!
Once approval has been granted, you can add the Brands and Campaigns. If Brands are not registered that may be an additional fee. See Telecom Regulatory Updates Knowledge Base Article
Brand Registration for Local Numbers: (Carrier level requirement)
- This is typically the same name as the business.
- There are two (2) levels you can choose from
- One-time $4 fee for verified
- One-time $40 fee for vetted
Campaign Registration for Local Numbers: (Use Case) (Carrier level requirement)
- The campaign being registered should be relevant to the approved brand.
- Depending on the campaign use case selected, there will be a monthly fee of $1.50 or $10 that will be deducted from your CTM available balance beginning upon submission.
- Three (3) month minimum charge will be applied upon submission
- Monthly campaign fees will continue to be deducted until the campaign is deactivated.
- A maximum of 400 phone numbers per campaign and per use case for carrier A and 49 for the other carriers.
- A maximum of 49 campaigns can be registered under one (1) brand
To prevent all your future text message campaigns from getting blocked, you must register each carrier you have numbers with.
The word “Campaign” refers to any message you send to your customers. This includes text notifications.
You can register up to 400 phone numbers per text campaign and per use case for carrier A and 49 for the other carriers through the Trust Center. Our CTM Trust Center is fully integrated with The Campaign Registry (TCR), which maintains the Approval Process.
Our Trust Center also has a new summary page where you can see your registrations’ progress.
Additional Registration Costs
All required campaign fees are passed through charges which are sent to TCR from CTM and are non-refundable.
- Fee Change 1: A new campaign vetting fee of $15 is now required.
- Fee Change 2: CTM will also be charging 3 months of the campaign registration fee upfront. These can range from $1.50-$10 per month. The first three months are billed all at once – after that first three months, you’ll be billed 1x per month.
A2P 10DLC & Toll-Free A2P Opt-in
Ways to show Opt-In based on your company’s process:
- If Website opt-in: Screenshot of the web form where the client adds numbers and agrees to receive messages. Check Box needed (unchecked) to show the customer consent by clicking for voice and text
- Website Posting (Support): Show where the number is advertised and where the customer finds the number to text in.
- If using keywords or QR Codes to Opt-in: Please provide material (Photo or Screenshot) for verification (i.e.- Where does the customer find the keyword to Opt-in to these messages? )
- If Voice/IVR opt-in: In this case, please provide a screenshot record of opt-in via voice in the client's database/CRM (i.e. a checkbox on the CRM saying that the customer opted in and the date)
- 2FA/OTP: Please provide a screenshot process to receive the initial text
- Paper form (Customer/Employee): Please upload a photo of the form
Things to know…
- For campaign submissions, the Wireless Carriers are now reviewing our customer's website and their web form fills for Opt-in
- They now want customers to show a clear distinction of what people are Opting in to receive: phone /or/ text messages /or/ both.
- The majority of rejections for 10DLC and Toll-Free A2P campaigns are due to non-compliance Opt-in forms
- The wireless carriers have taken a strict position to change Robo-texting
A2P 10DLC & Toll-Free A2P
Here is an example of what is required from the Mobile Carriers
There are two separate checkboxes: one for calls, and one for SMS:
- The checkboxes are unchecked
- SMS usage is specified in the Opt-In message
- This example states 2-4 times per month
Completion of Campaign Registration
- Upon approval of your campaign, you will need to assign the desired Tracking Numbers.
- Note: When Campaigns are initially approved, you are approved to use the specific Carrier requested when you originally registered
- Please go to the approved campaign and click the View button.
- Scroll down and click the Edit Assigned Numbers button.
- On the left side, you will click each phone number you wish to assign. You will know they have been assigned when they move from the left column to the right column.
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom right of the screen.
- You can confirm they have been placed into the campaign when you see the number has changed from "0" to the number requested.
Update Your CNAM Registration
- Locate the ⓘ in the tracking numbers page
- Hover over the image and confirm the carrier for which the Number Resides
- If the number resides in “Carrier A” you will be able to follow the process to add your phone numbers, name, etc. through the template provided
- If the number resides in “Carrier B-D”, please complete the following steps
- Please submit a ticket to calltrackingmetrics.zendesk.com with the subject CNAM 2.
- Change Request with the Account Id(S), phone number(s), and the CNAM(S) you would like to have updated. The CNAM can have up to 15 characters (including spaces), should always start with a letter, and can only contain letters, numbers, periods, commas, and spaces.
- To help alleviate your calls being counted as SPAM go to https://freecallerregistry.com/fcr/ to add a layer of validation.
- Please Note: Toll-Free Numbers vary in CNAM availability depending on the Carrier
Note: Toll-Free will allow accounts that are sole proprietors to register and send text messages
Do I have toll-free numbers?
Check your existing numbers in your CTM account.
Do I need to register if I don’t have toll-free numbers?
No, registration is only required for toll-free numbers.
Why do I have to register?
So your toll-free numbers do not appear as spam while making outbound texts.
Toll-free Registration: (The bottom panel)
- No more than five (5) numbers in the first Toll-Free submission
- Additional submissions can only have one (1) number associated and must be a different Use Case than other submissions.
- There is a 4-6 week waiting period after submission Once approval is given for the registration submission, you will be able to send text messages with your Toll-Free Numbers through the A2P routes.
Once approval is given for the registration submission, you will be able to send text messages with your Toll-Free Numbers through the A2P routes.
- Click on the Register/Manage Toll-Free Text Messaging button.
- Click the Register Toll-Free Texting button in the top right corner.
Select up to 5 toll-free numbers to register to enable sending text messages, then click Next.
- Choose your Use Case by clicking on the Use Case in the left column to move it to the right column. Next, provide your Use Case Summary. Click Next.
- Select your Opt-In Type, add your Opt-In image URLs, and click Next.
- Next, add your Sample Message, Expected Message Volume, and any additional information you have to help with the verification.
- Click the Finish button to submit your toll-free registration.