STIR/SHAKEN is a framework to reduce fraudulent robocalls and illegal phone number spoofing. STIR stands for Secure Telephony Identity Revisited. SHAKEN stands for Secure Handling of Asserted information using toKENs.
The FCC has mandated rules requiring service providers to deploy a STIR/SHAKEN solution by June 30, 2021. With the new changes for STIR/SHAKEN and Application to Peer text messaging, it is important to register your business to make outbound calls and send outbound text messages. So, these instructions provide the step-by-step process to complete all the requirements needed for registration.
For A2P Campaign registration instructions, please click here.
STEP 1 – Business Registration Instructions:
To get started, you will want to register your United States or Canada Business by going to → Numbers → Trust Center → Select → Add Compliance in the top right corner of the screen.
Select → Add Compliance
Next, you will need to add the following information as it appears on your W9 tax form when registering your business.
- Legal Business Name
- Business Type
- Sole Proprietorship
- Limited Liability Corporation (LLC)
- Non-Profit Corporation
- Choose the Business Industry Type (TIP: if you don’t see anything that matches your exact industry, choose the closest to your business)
- Next, select your Business Registration Type. Select the type of business that was filed with the Government where you have registered.
- USA: Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Canada: Business Number (BIN)
- Great Britain: Company Number
- Australia: Company Number from ASIC (ACN)
- India: Corporate Identity Number
- Once the registration type has been selected → add the number associated with the Business number in the box below
- Add the region your business serves
- Next add the business website URL (TIP: please ensure the business URL has an up-to-date web certificate as it will be verified)
- Next → Add any Social Media links *Note: This is not required for registration
Select → Continue
- Once continue has been selected add in your Business location information (As it appears on your W9)
- Business Name
- Street Address – Avoid using punctuations in the street address field as it might cause some issues
- Region (State) – Note: Capitalize the State 2 letter abbreviation
- Country NOTE – Note: Capitalize the 2-letter abbreviation for the country) Example: US, CA, etc.
- Postal Code
- After all the information has been entered, review the form and select the Terms box located on the left-hand side of the page
- Next Select → Submit for Review
Note: All information entered will be held confidential. Once registration is completed it can take up to 2 to 5 business days for the registration to be approved. So check back frequently to ensure approval has been provided.
Once Registration is approved, you can check to ensure that phone numbers have been assigned for STIR/SHAKEN registration by going to Numbers → Trust Center → Use
- In the Number assignment section, you now can edit or assign phone numbers to the account for outbound caller verification to US numbers. Just select the → Edit Assigned Tracking Numbers Once all numbers are assigned you will see the total numbers assigned. It is also recommended that you check the box for default profile, that way when tracking numbers are added or ported into the account they are automatically assigned to the STIR/SHAKEN registration.
- Finally, in the STIR/SHAKEN section, you will see that the numbers assigned are Active for outbound caller verification. (Note: if you have an approved registration and you select Use then Activate and it doesn’t take you to the number assignment page, please go back to step one and Add Compliance enter the information a second time, and submit for review. It may take 24 to 48 hours to be approved, once approved select Use and ensure you are now able to Edit Assigned Tracking Numbers)