What do you need to know?
The messaging industry is making changes to the message volumes that can be sent over an unverified Toll-Free number. This is part of the process to verify all Toll-Free numbers and align sender visibility with the Short Code and 10DLC messaging channels.
On April 1, Twilio will apply the following industry-wide thresholds for messaging sent over Restricted and Pending Toll-Free numbers will be applied:
- Daily limit: 500 messages
- Weekly limit: 1,000 messages
- Monthly limit: 2,000 messages
- Daily limit: 2,000 messages
- Weekly limit: 6,000 messages
- Monthly limit: 10,000 messages
These limits aren’t applicable when a Toll-Free number is already verified.
What do you need to do?
If you have unverified Toll-Free numbers that send messaging traffic over the new limits, please submit these numbers for verification as soon as possible. If you have a large inventory of numbers, please note that you can only register up to 5 toll-free numbers per account. When registering, select the 5 most important numbers for your messaging campaign.
If you are not currently exceeding these thresholds, we strongly encourage you to register your Toll-Free number(s) as this can help to increase your delivery rate and reduces the potential for messages to be filtered by the wireless carriers. Registration is required for all Toll-Free numbers sending messages to Canada as well.
You cannot use Toll-Free Numbers to text until you have registered each number in the Trust Center. The campaign registration under the Trust Center is a necessary step for text messages to be delivered in the US. You can check the campaign status and verify that the number is within a valid brand and campaign by going to Numbers -> Trust Center in your CTM account. Once your Toll-Free Number Registration is "Pending", you are able to send up to 2,000 outbound text messages daily & 26,000 monthly from the number(s) in the submission.
How do I register?
- Navigate to Numbers > Trust Center and click the View button on your Business Registration.
- Scroll to the Toll-Free Text Messaging Registration section and click the Register/Manage Toll-Free Text Messaging button.
- Click the Register Toll-Free Texting button in the top right corner.
Select up to 5 toll-free numbers to register to enable for sending text messages, then click Next.
- Choose your Use Case by clicking on the Use Case in the left column to move it to the right column. Next, provide your Use Case Summary. Click Next.
- Select your Opt-In Type, add your Opt-In image URLs, and click Next.
- Next, add your Sample Message, Expected Message Volume, and any additional information you have to help with the verification.
- Click the Finish button to submit your toll-free registration.
There is a 4-6 week waiting period after submission. Once approval is given for the registration submission, you will be able to send text messages with your Toll-Free Numbers through the A2P routes. During this time, your Phone Numbers are moved to a ‘pending verification’ state that adjusts the messaging limits while your submission is reviewed.
What if you don’t take action?